- WE ask You, O Lord, to look upon Your servants, whom You have enabled to put their trust in You; and grant them both to ask such things as shall please You, and also obtain what they ask; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
[For Pardon and Cleansing]
- LORD our God, whose power is infinite, whose goodness is unspeakable, despise not Your servants who beg for pardon, and to be reconciled unto You. Sanctify us, O God, our bodies and souls, search out our spirits, and cast out all iniquity from within us. Lord make us pure of heart, cast out all false reasoning and impure desires, all pride and envy, all hypocrisy and deceit, all inordinate love of this world, and base covetousness. Give us soft gentle hearts and cleanse us of all hardness of heart, peevishness and anger, all unkindness and selfishness, all malice and revenge, and every motion of soul and body which can withdraw us from You, and is against Your will and commandment.
- Gracious Father, give us pardon for what is past, and repentance from all our sinful habits, that we may, with pure minds, with humble hearts, with sanctified lips, serve You faithfully. May we walk with You, converse justly and charitably with men, and hold our souls in patience and holiness, our bodies in sanctification and honor; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
[Pardon and Peace]
- GRANT, merciful Lord, to Your faithful people pardon and peace, that they may be cleansed from all their sins, and serve You with a quiet mind; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
- ALMIGHTY Father, the fountain of all goodness, we give You sincere thanks for the returning light, and our daily bread; for home, and health, and friends; for the instruction of Your truth, and the opportunities of Your service which yesterday we enjoyed.
- We thank You for all that renders this world a pleasant home, and fits us for the life to come. Teach us, O Father, to imitate Your boundless charity, quicken our generosity, awaken our sympathies, give us to live not unto ourselves but may we follow in the the footsteps of our Blessed Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and go about doing good; giving to others of that which we have received of You. Let not ours be a vain profession, but let our words and works this day show that we are indeed the children of God. This we ask from You for the sake of Jesus Christ our Lord.
[Preservation from all Adversity]
- ALMIGHTY God, who sees that we have no power of ourselves to help ourselves, keep us both outwardly in our bodies and inwardly in our souls, that we may be defended from all adversities which may happen to the body, and from all evil thoughts which may assault and hurt the soul; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
[For the Day’s Work]
- WE humbly beseech You, O heavenly loving Father, to give us grace to fulfill our several duties to Your glory. Let those who hold places of authority, dictate according to your holy word and by so doing they know they have a Master in heaven with whom is no respect of persons; and let those who serve, labor not with eye-service, as men-pleasers, but with good will doing service as unto the Lord, and not unto men, knowing that of the Lord they shall receive the reward of the inheritance; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
[The Godly Life of Christians]
- ALMIGHTY and everlasting God, by whose Spirit the whole body of the Church is governed and sanctified, receive our supplications and prayers, which we offer before You for all estates of men in Your holy Church, that every member of the same, in his vocation and ministry, may truly and godly serve You; through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
[Help and Success in the Days Walk]
- LORD God, our Heavenly Father, who hast commanded us to labor in order that we may gain our daily bread, we ask You to prosper our work this day, that Your favor may be a witness unto us of Your bounty and loving-kindness, and that we may know thereby, the Fatherly care You have over us. So guide and strengthen us by the Holy Spirit, that we may be true and just in all our dealings; that we may labor not as men-pleasers, but as those who know they have a Master in heaven; that we may be active and diligent, careful and industrious; that this day, and every day,’ we may render to You the service of our daily work ; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
- POUR out, O Lord, the Holy Spirit of grace upon this family, and cast out from them whatever evil they have incurred by the fraud of the devil, or by earthly corruption. Through grace we know that, we are being cleansed within and without. May we ever render unto You a pure worship, and may we the more readily obtain what we fitly and reasonably ask; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
[Intercession for Others]
- MOST merciful God, who art the Father of all mankind, we would commend to Your care our relatives and friends, who are near and dear unto us. Preserve them by Your good wisdom, guide them by Your counsel, sanctify them by Your Holy Spirit, and lead them along the way everlasting, that finally we may be gathered, by Your mercy, an unbroken circle about Your throne. In mercy remember the poor and needy, the widows and fatherless, the stranger and friendless, the oppressed and afflicted, the aged and sickly, the young and tempted, the weak of heart and the weak of body, them that languish, and them that are dying. Relieve their necessities, comfort their sorrows, sanctify their calamities, strengthen their weaknesses, and in Your own good time deliver them from their bondage into the glorious liberty of Your son; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
[For the President]
- ALMIGHTY and everlasting God, we are taught by Your holy word, that the hearts of kings are in Your rule and governance, and that You do dispose and turn them as it seems best to Your godly wisdom. We humbly ask You to dispose and govern the hearts of the President, Congress, the Supreme Court, State, County and Local Officials which are all Your servants, our legislature and governors. Guide them in all their thoughts, words, and works, may they ever seek Your honor and glory, and study to preserve Your people committed to their charge, in wealth, peace, and godliness. Grant this, O merciful Father, for Your dear Son s sake, Jesus Christ our Lord.
[For Scholars, Pastor, Teachers, and Missionaries]
- LORD, who by Your holy Apostle hast taught us to do all things in the name of the Lord Jesus, and to Your glory. Give Your blessing, we pray, to their daily work, that they may do it heartily as to the Lord, and not unto men. All their powers of body and mind are Yours, and we devote them to Your service: sanctify them, and the work in which they are engaged. Let them not be slothful, but fervent in spirit; O Lord. So bless their efforts that they may bring forth the fruit of true wisdom.
- Strengthen our minds and dispose us to use the fruits of wisdom to Your glory and for the furtherance of Your kingdom, and save us from all pride and vanity, and reliance on our own power and wisdom. Teach us to seek after truth, and enable us to gain it. But grant that while we know earthly things, may we also know You, and be known by You, through and in Your Son Jesus Christ Give us this day Your Holy Spirit, that we may be yours in body and spirit; in all our work and in all our enjoyments; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord.
- May GOD Himself, our Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, direct our ways; and the Lord make us to increase and abound in love one toward another, and toward all men; to the end may He establish our hearts unblameable in holiness before God, even our Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all His saints. Amen (Let it be done)
Daily Prayers for Families and Schools, in Collect Form
Author: Henry Burnside
Publisher: London: Simpkin, Marshall, & Co. 1877
Revised and Adapted by: Karrol Sneed 2013