This is an easy devotional pattern that can be followed during your personal or family morning hour of prayer
In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit
God I come to You in this time of prayer, I come bowing before You, God, my King, my Savior
Lord have mercy upon me, Lord forgive me, Lord save me, Lord bless me
Glory to You Father, Son and Holy Spirit, now and forever into the ages of all ages
- Who do You seek?
I seek You alone my Lord my God
I seek You with all my heart, all my soul, all my mind and all my strength
- What do You seek?
I seek first Your kingdom and Your righteousness.
- What do You ask?
– One thing I ask of You Lord, this is what I seek, that I may dwell in Your house all the days of my life, to behold Your beauty and to seek You in Your temple.
– I ask You to keep me this day away from sin
– Create in me a clean heart and renew Your Spirit within me.
– O Lord my God, preserve me, and bring this day to a good start. The night has passed; and I thank You for Your watch care over me.
- Every day I will bless You, and praise Your holy name forever and unto the ages of ages. From the night season, my soul awakes early unto You, O my God, for Your precepts are a light upon the earth. Upon my bed I meditate on Your ways, for You have become a helper unto me. In the morning, You shall hear my voice. Early I will stand before You, and You shall see me.
DECLARATION OF FAITH
- I believe in You God, the one and only true, holy God, God the Father, the Almighty, Who created heaven and earth, and all things, seen and unseen. I believe in You God, it was You sent who sent Your Son
- I believe in You, Lord Jesus Christ, the Only-Begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all ages; Light of Light, true God of true God, begotten not created, of one essence with the Father, by Whom all things were made. Immanuel, conceived by the Holy Spirit and of the Virgin Mary and who became man. Who came to be God with us, in obedience to the Father, He came down from heaven for our salvation; it is Him who was crucified for me under Pontius Pilate, suffering the pain of the cross. He died and was buried, but the grave had no hold on Him for on the third day He rose from the dead and ascended into the heavens; and sat at the right hand of His Father. One day soon, He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead. Your kingdom is eternal and has no end.
- Yes, I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Life-Giver, my comforter. Who spoke in the prophets, inspired the scriptures, and who is our seal.
- I believe in one holy, and apostolic church, the body of Christ. I confess one baptism for the remission of sins, being born again into a new life in Christ.
- I keep watch for Christ return, for the resurrection of the dead, and I look forward to the life of the coming age.
THE HOLY GOSPEL ACCORDING TO SAINT JOHN (1:1-17)
- In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him; and without Him was not anything made that was made. In Him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in darkness; and the darkness did not comprehend it.
- There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. He was not the Light, but was sent to bear witness to the Light. That was the true Light that gives light to every man coming into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made by Him, and the world did not know Him. He came unto His own, and His own did not receive Him. But as many as received Him, to them He gave power to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
- And the Word became flesh, and dwelt in us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the Only-Begotten of His Father, full of grace and truth. John bore witness of Him, and cried out, saying, “This was He of whom I said, `He who comes after me is preferred before me: for He was before me.’ ” And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace. For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
Glory be to God forever. Amen.
Let me praise You with the angels, saying, “Glory to God in the highest, peace on earth, and good will toward men.”
I praise You. I bless You. I serve You. I worship You. I confess You. I glorify You. I give thanks to You for Your great glory, O Lord, King of heaven, God the Father, the Almighty; O Lord, the one and Only-Begotten Son, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit.
O Lord God, Lamb of God, Son of the Father, Who takes away the sin of the world, have mercy on me. Father in Heaven, Who takes away the sin of the world, receive my prayers unto You.
You Who sits at the right hand of the Father, have mercy on me. Lord God, You alone are Holy; You only are the Most High, Lord God Almighty, Jesus Christ, Holy Spirit; glory to God the giver of life.
I worship You O God with Christ and the Holy Spirit, for You have come and saved me. O the true Light Who gives light to every man coming into the world, You came into the world and all creation rejoiced in Your coming. You saved me and delivered me, from the pangs of death, and gave me Your Holy Spirit. Let me, therefore, praise You and bless You saying: Glory to the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
As the daylight shines upon me, my God, You sent Your Son, the true Light. Let His luminous light shine upon my senses and the bright thoughts of Your Word shine within me, and do not let the darkness of worldly passions hover over me, that mindfully I may praise You with David saying, “My eyes have awaken before the morning watch, that I might meditate on Your sayings.” Hear my voice according to your great mercy, O Lord my God, through Your compassion.
Psalm 51:1-19 (HCSB)
1 Be gracious to me, God, according to Your faithful love; according to Your abundant compassion, blot out my rebellion.
2 Wash away my guilt and cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I am conscious of my rebellion, and my sin is always before me.
4 Against You—You alone—I have sinned and done this evil in Your sight. So You are right when You pass sentence; You are blameless when You judge.
5 Indeed, I was guilty ⌊when I⌋ was born; I was sinful when my mother conceived me.
6 Surely You desire integrity in the inner self, and You teach me wisdom deep within.
7 Purify me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
8 Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones You have crushed rejoice.
9 Turn Your face away from my sins and blot out all my guilt.
10 God, create a clean heart for me and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
11 Do not banish me from Your presence or take Your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore the joy of Your salvation to me, and give me a willing spirit.
13 Then I will teach the rebellious Your ways, and sinners will return to You.
14 Save me from the guilt of bloodshed, God, the God of my salvation, and my tongue will sing of Your righteousness.
15 Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare Your praise.
16 You do not want a sacrifice, or I would give it; You are not pleased with a burnt offering.
17 The sacrifice pleasing to God is a broken spirit. God, You will not despise a broken and humbled heart.
18 In Your good pleasure, cause Zion to prosper; build the walls of Jerusalem.
19 Then You will delight in righteous sacrifices, whole burnt offerings; then bulls will be offered on Your altar.
The Lord’s Prayer – Contemporary English Version
Our Father in heaven, help us to honor your name.
Come and set up your kingdom, so that everyone on earth will obey you,
as you are obeyed in heaven.
Give us our food for today.
Forgive us for doing wrong, as we forgive others.
Keep us from being tempted and protect us from evil.
Contemporary English Version (CEV), Matthew 6:9-13
Silent reflection and confession
- Father God, You are always present, forgive me for not reflecting your faithfulness
Jesus, You are always self-giving, forgive me for living for myself
Holy Spirit, You always lead me forward, forgive me for holding back
- I ask You to help me to live the kind of life which proves that I am worthy of Your call, to be Your own. May I be humble and gentle in every way. Gracious God, I pledge to be patient with and love my brothers and sisters. Lord, I pledge to do my best to maintain the unity that the Spirit gives, by living in unity and at peace with my family and my Christian brothers and sisters, for I know that there is but one body, and one Spirit. Lord today I pledge to I share Christ, my one true hope with those around me. For there is one Lord, one faith, one baptism. You are the one God and Father of all, who is over everything, and works through me and who lives in me. Ephesians 4:1-5
THE READING OF THE WORD
Old Testament Reading
Silent study and reflection on the Word of God
I give thanks to You, God of grace and love, most generous and merciful God, the Father of my Lord God and Savior, Jesus Christ. Father, Your beloved Son has died for me, covered me, helped me, guarded me, accepted me, spared me, supported me, and bought me with His Holy blood. I thank You for all that You have done in my life.
- The media and the arts for healthy communication
- Farming and fishing commerce and industry
- Those whose work is unfulfilling, stressful or fraught with danger
- All who are unemployed
- Inspiration of the Holy Spirit for fellow believers
- All travelers safety and protection
- Government Federal, State, County, Local
PETITIONS FOR YOUR FAMILY
- School, Work, Ministry
- Activities and Daily Challenges
- Character Development
- Receipt of God’s Gifts
- Lives that honor God
- Growth in Christ
- Growth in Wisdom
- Spiritual Insight
- Relationships with Others
- Faithfulness as a Steward
- Personal Concerns
- Let me also ask of You, Lord God Almighty, to guard me, lead me in peace this day and all the days of my life.
- Master, Lord, God Almighty, the Father of our Lord God and Savior, Jesus Christ, I thank You for every circumstance, for You have covered me, helped me, guarded me, and accepted me unto You. You have spared me, supported me, and brought me to this place at this time in this hour.
- Therefore, I ask of Your goodness, O Lover of mankind, to grant me to complete this day, and all the days of my life, in peace with reverent fear. Lord keep me from all envy, all temptation, all the work of Satan, the counsel of wicked men, and the rising up of enemies, hidden and manifest. Take all evil desires, thoughts and plans away from me, and from all Your people, and from this place that is Yours.
- Lord provide for me all those things, which are good and profitable. For it is You Who has given me the authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and upon all the power of the enemy.
- And lead me not into temptation, but deliver me from evil, by Your grace, compassion.
I ask these things through a heart of love for mankind, in the name of Your Only-Begotten Son, my Lord, God and Savior, Jesus Christ, through Whom the glory, the honor, the dominion, and the adoration are due unto You, along with Him, and the Holy Spirit, the Life-Giver, Who is of one essence with You, now and at all times, and unto the ages of all ages. Amen.
Author: Karrol Sneed (copyright 2013)