O LORD my Saviour, Who was pleased to be made perfect through suffering, and for my sakes did taste the depths of bitterness, and made trial of extreme human woe; I adore Your infinite love and compassion, which brought You to such unutterable sufferings for me most guilty sinners.
- For me You suffered the agony in the garden, when Your soul was exceedingly sorrowful, even unto death, and Your sweat was as great drops of blood.
- For me You endured the odious kiss of the traitor, and the forsaking of Your chosen disciples.
- For me, You were falsely accused, and unjustly condemned.
- For me, You were mocked, and struck, and spit upon.
- For me, You wore the sharp crown of piercing thorns.
- For me, was Your sacred flesh mangled with the scourge.
- For me, You went forth bearing the Cross, until You sank under the load.
- For me, You hung in mortal agony upon the Cross; the nails rending Your sacred hands and feet.
- For me, You prayed, “Father, forgive them!”
- For me, You endured the terrible hiding of Your Father’s Face, the awful death-struggle, the parting asunder of Soul and Body.
- For I, too, have crucified You by my sins. Oh, let me never crucify You afresh!
O Lord my God and Saviour, Who so loves me in Your perfect love, kindle in my heart a spark of like love and devotion. Make me glad to be made like unto You. If it be Your will, I willingly take up my cross by sharing in Your suffering and walking in Your path of pain. Make me willing to bear all things gladly for Your sake, Who now reigns with the Father and the Holy Ghost, one God, forever and ever. Amen.
Book: The Armoury of Prayer
Compiled by: Berdmore Compton
Published by: London: Rivingtons
Revised and Adapted by: Karrol Sneed 2014